New Model Available Now!
We have just released the latest and fastest version of our hugely popular Marine Internet Access Kits. This latest kit is a huge jump forward in performance, speed and reliability. The kit meets the desires of our customers wanting to content stream, operate their business from onboard, video conference and pretty much whatever else they want to do online. Whether you are a liveaboard who wants reliable and fast internet access, or a coastal cruiser wanting to maintain that internet link while transiting around the Australian coast, the Marine Internet Kit can make it a viable reality.
The kit contains a high quality 4Gx/4G/LTE/3G modem/router with integrated Wi-Fi access point, 2 x high gain marine Poynting antennas and 2 x Wi-Fi antennas and operates from either the boats 12v power source or can be mains powered via the included plug pack.
The contents of the kit have been chosen to provide the best quality and performance possible. All hardware is marine grade and designed to last. The kit includes everything you require to get connected without the hassle of choosing antennas, cables, mounting brackets or even configuring the modem. All that you need to do is insert a nano SIM card for your chosen internet provider.
PicoSense recommends the use of Telstra in the marine environment as they have exceptional coverage around the Australian coastline and are provisioned to utilise the 4GX network (700Mhz) which provides the best range from a land based tower. Telstra 4GX coverage maps are available. Installation of the SIM card is as easy as placing the SIM card on a tray and sliding it into the modem. No further configuration of the modem should be required as we have done this for you.
Marine Internet Kit Benefits:
- Allows you to share the internet connection with multiple devices without the need for turning on your phones “Hot spot” and using excess battery power.
- Allow all your onboard internet enabled devices to connect seamlessly to a single internet connection.
- Worldwide network carrier support built in to cover you wherever you may cruise to. Just insert a local SIM for the region you are in.
- Highest category 4G modem currently available, allowing download speeds up to 600Mbps
- Operate your business from onboard, using the high speed connectivity available.
- Multiple gigabit network ports allow connecting non Wi-Fi or legacy devices directly to the modem. This is a great option for smart TVs onboard to ensure the best streaming experience.
- Includes a single WAN port to allow connection of satellite terminals like Starlink devices allowing seamless cutover between services.
- Connect your chart plotter or other internet enabled navigation devices to ensure they are always kept up to date with software and firmware.
- Monitor cameras and other systems onboard while away from the boat.
- Allows you to effortlessly record your voyage data to the internet for free (Additional Hardware Required)
- Stay connected for critical weather updates and alerts.
- Comes pre-configured, ready to install.
- Australian designed modem
- Price includes GST and free shipping Australia wide
- Modem supports 3G/4G/LTE/4Gx with a single nano sized SIM card
- Operates from 12VDC or included 240v Australian plug pack
- Category 12 modem that supports carrier aggregation enabling download speeds up to 600Mbps
- Qty 2 of 9dBi marine grade Poynting brand antennas with adjustable stainless steel mounts
- Qty 2 of 10m LCU-400 high quality coax cables
- 4 x 1Gb LAN network ports for hard wired devices. (Eg Smart TV, Cameras)
- 1 x 1Gb WAN network port for additional connectivity services like satellite terminals
- 1200Mbps 802.11ac Wave 2 Wi-Fi (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi MIMO)
- Easy web based management interface
- Modem is unlocked allowing use on any mobile network
- Surface mounted modem or can be clipped to DIN rail with included clips.
- 4G antenna dimensions: 646mm long excluding mount
- 2 year warranty on modem
Q: Why can’t I just use my internet access on my phone?
A: By installing dedicated hi-gain 4Gx/3G antennas on your vessel you can ensure you will excellent access to the internet at any time.
Q: How does this kit compare to the competition?
A: Simply put, there is no competition to this kit. The modem is the fastest currently available and with global coverage capabilities, latest Wi-Fi technologies matched with the highest grade marine antennas, there is no competition to this kit.
Q: Is this kit 5G compatible?
A: At this time the 5G rollout in Australia is very limited and focussed around capital cities. It is unknown how long until or if this coverage will extend to marine coverage. The included antennas with the kit are already 5G compatible so should the technology move to the marine environment in the future you can simply upgrade the modem without re-cabling or replacing the antennas.
Q: Why are there two 3G/4G antennas in the kit?
A: Installing two identical high gain antennas allows you the best bandwidth/ speed and connection reliability possible. The kit will still operate on a single antenna however this will be at reduced performance. When operating further offshore the modem will only utilise a single antenna anyway.
Q: Is this secure?
A: Yes, by purchasing one of the PicoSense on-board marine internet access kits you will receive the hardware pre-configured with firewalls enabled and Wi-Fi access passwords set. Of course you can modify this later if you wish.
Q: Will this run from my boats power supply?
A: Yes, the marine modem will operate from a power supply of 12VDC (not 24VDC). It will also operate from a 240V outlet using the supplied plug pack.
Q: How do I know which plan I require?
A: This will depend on how much data you think you might use. Some plans will not continue to charge you if you go over your monthly limit, rather they will throttle your speed back until your roll over date. This can be useful as the speed when throttled is still often enough to check the weather or send emails.
Q: How does this kit compare the the Cel-Fi devices available?
A: The Cel-Fi devices are not a modem and you still require your mobile phone to provide a hotspot for data. The Cel-Fi units are locked to a particular carrier and are designed for boosting the signal, the Marine Internet Kit is a dedicated data modem with high quality external marine antennas. The performance of the modem in the kit with the dedicated antennas will outperform the speed available if operated via a Cel-Fi device. Essentially the Cel-Fi device is a bottleneck to the speeds the modem is capable of achieving.
Coverage of the kit includes many factors, most of all the height of your main antenna above the water. The antenna must be able to see the cellular tower it is connecting to. As such, as you move over the horizon, the height of the antenna above the water becomes critical to this visibility of the shore based tower. We cannot overcome this factor. Telstra explains their “out to sea” coverage very well in the below statement:
“Telstra’s network can typically extend 20 to 70 km out to sea from mobile base stations located near the coast. However, there are many factors such as the weather, tides, sea conditions and your antenna installation (type and height above sea level) that can significantly influence coverage, data speed and performance. As a result, you must not rely on the Telstra Mobile Network as a primary method of communication at sea.
To assist with your mobile services at sea, you should use a directly connected external antenna – one that is omni-directional or a specialist marine antenna. The antenna should be mounted as high as possible on the vessel using marine-grade cabling and connections.
In order for a service at sea to work effectively, line of sight to the terrestrial base station is required. This is influenced by the height of the serving base station, land based obstructions and the general topography of the land, which can block signals. Coverage will not be reliable over the horizon from a mobile base station even though it may be usable at times.”
Telstra 4GX Coverage maps for marine are available here.
Dealer and Installer enquiries welcome, please contact us for further details.